Ovalhouse in Brixton
In 2020 Ovalhouse will be moving to its new home in Brixton as part of the Somerleyton Road Project, an exciting community partnership that will see new homes, community and health facilities, social enterprises and our new, fully accessible modern theatre in the heart of Brixton.
There are many reasons why we've decided to do this:
- We need more spaces for our artists to rehearse in and for our ever growing range of youth theatre activities.
- With a purpose-built space we can finally do away with odd room shapes and sizes, issues with noise between spaces (which often means only 50% occupancy in our current theatres), the next generation of theatre artists will have spaces that are flexible, multi-media-multi-everything.
- Access: For the first time, wheelchair users will be able to access our whole building, in our current building wheelchair users have no access to the Upstairs Theatre and a large part of our seasonal programming. We need a theatre which is fully accessible to disabled artists, young people, audiences and staff.
- Like every other theatre and grant-aided organisation we need to be bold about establishing new income for the future: we need more space to earn more money for Ovalhouse so that we can continue to provide affordable theatre and activities.
In Brixton, we will have:
- Seven multi-use accessible studios - the new theatre and rehearsal facilities will not only be larger and fully accessible but will be much improved in terms of scope and technical capability, meeting the needs of C21st artists
- An increased range of training within our youth leadership programmes
- Professional opportunities and cross transferable skills for local young people
- The opportunity to generate increased and sustainable income stream for the future in a prime position in busy town centre street
- A new theatre which is built and ready for us to move into before we move from the Oval - no interruption in the theatre programme or youth activities
This Is My Place! Watch our video:
For more information and to talk to us about our Capital Campaign contact:
Contact our Development Director - Capital Campaign
firstname.lastname@example.org or call 020 7820 7273