Ovalhouse in Brixton
In 2019 Ovalhouse will be moving to its new home in Brixton as part of the Somerleyton Road Project, an exciting community partnership that will see new homes, community and health facilities, social enterprises and our new, fully accessible modern theatre in the heart of Brixton.
There are many reasons why we've decided to do this:
- We do not have enough spaces for our artists to rehearse in or for our growing range of youth theatre activities.
- Our theatres and studios were not purpose built - they are odd shapes and sizes, we have terrible problems with noise, and the next generation of theatre artists need spaces that can be flexible, multi-media-multi-everything.
- Like every other theatre and grant-aided organisation we need to be bold about establishing new income for the future: we need more space to earn more money for Ovalhouse so that we can continue to provide affordable theatre and activities.
- Access: we need a theatre which is fully accessible to disabled artists, young people, audiences and staff.
- We are not fully accessible and despite our best efforts, we cannot offer access to our upstairs theatre to wheelchair users.
In Brixton, we will have:
- Seven multi-use accessible studios - the new theatre and rehearsal facilities will not only be larger and fully accessible but will be much improved in terms of scope and technical capability, meeting the needs of C21st artists
- An increased range of training within our youth leadership programmes
- Professional opportunities and cross transferable skills for local young people
- The opportunity to generate increased and sustainable income stream for the future in a prime position in busy town centre street
- A new theatre which is built and ready for us to move into before we move from the Oval - no interruption in the theatre programme or youth activities
This Is My Place! Watch our video:
For more information and to talk to us about our Capital Campaign contact:
Contact our Development Director - Capital Campaign
firstname.lastname@example.org or call 020 7820 7273